Scientific Publications - Dr Jose Roman
- ROMAN Jose D 2021. Co-Existence of a Rudimentary Non-Communicating Horn with a Unicornuate Uterus in Association with 2 Components of the VACTERL Association: A Case Report. Science Repository. Open Access article. Case Reports in Obstetrics Gynecology & Reproductive doi:10.31487/j.CROGR.2021.02.01
Not all cases of pelvic pain in a young woman are related to endometriosis. We present a patient with a uterine abnormality that was referred to our clinic with the presumptive diagnosis of endometriosis. Her condition was treated laparoscopically with a very satisfactory result and a reduction in her pain.
- ROMAN Jose D 2021. Implementation of Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy as the default technique and lessons learnt. Open Access Article. Cureus 13(7): e16428. DOI 10.7759/cureus.16428
We present here one of the largest series in Australasia. The complete performance of 1287 hysterectomies by the keyhole surgery approach at Braemar Hospital in Hamilton, New Zealand, from April 2004 to December 2018, demonstrating that the technique of total laparoscopic hysterectomy is safe and associated with a low complication rate.
- ROMAN JD 2019. Transvaginal mesh repair of anterior enterocele following radical cystectomy and ileal conduit diversion. Urogynaecologia 31(1):224
This is a case where a patient had to have the anterior wall of the vagina removed completely to treat invasive cancer of her bladder. As half of the vaginal wall was missing she did develop a prolapse called anterior enterocele. A previous operation done elsewhere failed to correct her prolapse and she was referred to our clinic for further treatment. Although we are extremely cautious before using mesh, there was no better alternative in this situation. The outcome was very satisfactory.
- ROMAN JD 2016. Subjective outcome of 166 tension-free vaginal tape procedures performed by a single surgeon: the Braemar experience. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol Oct;56(5): 503-7
We share our experience with the use of a mid-urethral sling to treat stress urinary incontinence with or without a vaginal prolapse. The TVT procedure was found to be safe with a low complication rate and a satisfaction rate of 83.3%. Our patients were followed up for 58 +/- 28.6 months. We present here a low rate of vaginal erosion and we discuss it.
- ROMAN JD 2010. Adolescent endometriosis in the Waikato Region of New Zealand- a comparative cohort study with a mean follow-up time of 2.6 years. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol Apr;50(2): 179-83
Endometriosis is a condition that may present to adolescents or teenagers affecting severely their quality of life and fertility if left untreated. The youngest of our patients was 14 at the time of surgery. We revealed that adolescents with endometriosis use more pain relief than usual, have a higher rate of a first degree relative with endometriosis, and they present with atypical lesions that are important to recognise at the time of surgery to provide the correct excisional treatment. All stages of endometriosis including III and IV stage may present during the adolescence. We showed that surgical treatment has a positive effect on pain relief and the quality of life in the teenager.
- ROMAN JD 2010. Surgical treatment of endometriosis in private practice: cohort study with mean follow-up of 3 years. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. Jan-Feb;17(1): 42-6
We demonstrate our experience at Braemar Hospital with the technique of surgical diathermy excision of endometriosis, its positive effect on pain relief, quality of life and also a positive effect on fertility.
- ROMAN JD 2006. Patient selection and surgical technique may reduce major complications of laparoscopic-assisted vaginal hysterectomy. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. Jul-Aug;13(4):306-10.
We present our own technique developed for the performance of laparoscopic-assisted vaginal hysterectomies in more than 400 patients, revealing a very low complication rate. Patient selection and the ureteral dissection and exposure reduce the urinary tract complication rate.
- ROMAN JD, Trivedi AN 1999. Implementation of an outpatient hysteroscopy clinic at Waikato Women’s Hospital report of the first 60 cases. N Z Med J Jul 9; 112 (1091): 253-5
We report the set-up of the first outpatient hysteroscopy clinic in the Waikato Region of New Zealand.
- TRIVEDI AN, ROMAN JD 1998. A case report of a laparoscopically treated cornual pregnancy as a result of spontaneous conception after prior salpingectomy for tubal pregnancy. J Obstet Gynaecol 18(6): 602-3
Reporting one of our first experiences with the laparoscopical treatment of ectopic pregnancy.
- ROMAN JD, HARE AA 1995. Digoxin and decompression amniocentesis for treatment of feto-fetal
transfusion. British Journal of O&G May, (102): 421-423.
A novel approach of using both digoxin and decompression amniocentesis for a case of feto-tefal transfusion is reported.
- Clarke JP, ROMAN JD 1994. A review of 19 sets of triplets: The positive results of Vaginal Delivery. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 34(1): 50-3
We shared our positive experience with the vaginal delivery of triplets at Waikato Women’s Hospital avoiding unnecessary caesarean-sections.